Fourth of July free events hosted by the City of Wilmington
Fourth of July Celebrations. The City is hosting two free public events downtown on Sunday, July 4th, and you’re invited!
Afternoon: Riverfront Park Grand Opening Celebration, 10 Cowan Street
The park will be open to the public from 1 pm until 8 pm. This is a free event and tickets are not required. This family friendly event will include local bands, food, beer from local brewers, kids’ activities and more.
1:00 Gates Open & WMNX Coast 97.3 Core DJ Crew BIGG B and Sandra The Midday Miss
2:00 Omni Percussion Ensemble
2:10 Benny Hill Quartet/Quintet
2:50 Comedian Matt White
3:20 The Coastal Collective
4:00 Comedian Tim Sherrill
4:30 Signal Fire
5:40 L Shape Lot
Riverfront Park will close at 8 pm to allow people time to re-position for fireworks viewing
Evening: Fireworks display at 9:05 pm.
Brought to you by the City of Wilmington and WGNI 102.7, the fireworks display will begin at 9:05 p.m. and will be shot from a barge located at the convergence of the Cape Fear & Northeast Cape Fear Rivers, just north of the USS Battleship North Carolina. The fireworks display can be seen along the downtown Wilmington riverfront but will not be visible from the new Riverfront Park.
- Arrive early and consider your exit strategy prior to parking.
- Expect 1 to 2 hour delays leaving downtown after the fireworks due to large volumes of traffic for this event.
- Vehicles should park on the side of downtown (with Red Cross St. being the dividing line) that is closest to the direction they will travel after the fireworks have ended.
- Traffic parked south of Red Cross St. will be diverted south towards Market St., Dawson St. and the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge – includes City parking decks in the 100 block of Market St., the 100 block of N. 2nd St. as well as the County deck in the 200 block of N. 2nd St. and the CFCC deck at Nutt and Red Cross
- Traffic parked north of Red Cross St. will be diverted north towards MLK Parkway and the Isabel Holmes Bridge – includes the Wilmington Convention Center parking deck at 515 Nutt St. and the CFCC deck at 3rd St. and Hanover St.
- Those utilizing parking decks can expect longer delays due to high volumes exiting at one time.
- No standing, stopping or parking on bridges, roadways or along medians on route 17, 74/76, 133 or 421 – police will monitor these areas and towing will be enforced.
- For traffic information call 511 or visit the NCDOT TIMS website at https://drivenc.gov/
- City decks located at 115 Market St., 114 N. 2nd St, 14 Grace St. and the County deck at 212 N. 2nd St. will charge a $7.00 event fee beginning at 2:00 pm.
- The Wilmington Convention Center deck at 515 Nutt St. will charge an $8.00 event fee beginning at 2:00 pm.
- Cape Fear Community College will charge a $15.00 event fee – CASH ONLY at all CFCC parking locations. Hanover Parking Deck, Nutt Street Parking Deck, Student Lot #2 (corner of Front and Hanover), K Lot (corner of 3rd and Walnut) and L Lot (corner of 2nd and Walnut).
- On-street metered parking will be free.
The following streets will close as early as 6:00 pm
- Water St. between Dock St. and Red Cross St.
- Front St. between Dock St. and Red Cross St.
- Market St. between Front St. & Water St.
- Princess St. between N 2nd St. & N 3rd St.
- Chestnut St. between N 2nd St. & N Water St.
- Grace St. between N 2nd St. & N Water St.
- Walnut St. between N 2nd & N Water St.
The following streets will close at 9:00 pm
- Nixon St. between N 3rd St. & N 4th St.
- Northbound N 4th St. between Harnett St. & Nixon St.
- Harnett St. between N 3rd St. & Nutt St.
OTHER INFO: Pets are not allowed downtown during special events where large crowds are present and streets are closed. There will be a boating safety zone for 30 minutes after the fireworks around the launch site. No thru boating traffic will be allowed.
Special thanks to our sponsors!